Q: Thank you for updating the copyright overview on this site. What are the most important changes that you want us to know? A: Because the update reflects changes from 2014 through 2016 it includes a few decisions that readers may be familiar with such as the Google book scanning decision (Author’s Guild v. Hathitrust, […]
Bloggers and artists often ask, “how much of a photo do you need to alter to avoid copyright infringement?” Five changes? Fifteen? The Seventh Circuit addressed the issue in the Kienitz v Sconnie Nation case recently. According to the court, Sconnie Nation made t-shirts displaying an image of Madison Wisconsin mayor Paul Soglin, using […]
As part of its new draft Compendium of U.S. Copyright Office Practices, Third Edition, we have guidance on registration for websites. The draft of the full compendium is over 1200 pages and covers publication, recordation, notice, deposits, along with other topics. Members of the public may make comments anytime before (or after) the Third Edition […]
The U.S. Copyright Office came to Stanford Law School yesterday to conduct a roundtable on Recordation Reengineering, The Stanford Law School Law and Policy Lab submitted comments and a thoughtful White Paper, and live tweeted the proceeding along with us (see @slspolicylab and @fairlyused). The Law and Policy Lab was represented at the roundtable by Peter Holm, third year law […]
ORPHAN WORKS is red hot again. After a number of failed legislative attempts and a couple of high profile court cases, its back to the drawing board, albeit a better defined drawing board. On the one hand, most everyone agrees that for true orphans, it would be great for us all to be able to […]
Copyright Case Opinion Summaries
June 20, 2017Plaintiff filed suit against various defendants in the film industry, alleging copyright and state law claims, including breach of implied-in-fact contract and declaratory relief. Plaintiff alleged that defendants used his screenplay idea to... read more »
June 6, 2017Design Basics claims rights to about 2700 home designs and sued Lexington for copyright infringement, contending that Lexington built homes that infringed four Design Basics’ designs. The district court granted Lexington summary judgment, finding no evidence that Lexington ever had access to Design Basics’ home plans. The Seventh Circuit affirmed, agreeing that Design Basics has no evidence of access and stating that no reasonable jury could find that Lexington’s accused read more »
May 24, 2017Capacity manufactures “Trailer Jockey” semi-tractors. GFL became an authorized Capacity dealer under a 1995 franchise agreement. In 2013, Capacity notified GFL of its intent to terminate GFL’s franchise, alleging GFL had misrepresented the employment status of a former GFL employee who went to work for Capacity’s chief competitor and allowed the employee to continue accessing Capacity’s online parts ordering system while working for the competitor. GFL filed a read more »
Copyright Case Dockets
- Cadence Design Systems, Inc. v. Pounce Consulting, Inc. August 15, 2017Filed: August 15, 2017 as 5:2017cv04732 Cause Of Action: Copyright Infringement Court: Ninth Circuit › California › California Northern District Court Type: Intellectual Property › Copyright
- AutoOpt Networks, Inc. v. Karani et al August 15, 2017Filed: August 15, 2017 as 3:2017cv04714 Cause Of Action: Copyright Infringement Court: Ninth Circuit › California › California Northern District Court Type: Intellectual Property › Copyright
- Venice PI, LLC v. Does 1-9 August 14, 2017Filed: August 14, 2017 as 1:2017cv00219 Cause Of Action: Copyright Infringement Court: Fourth Circuit › North Carolina › North Carolina Western District Court Type: Intellectual Property › Copyright
- Copyright Legislative Developments August 4, 2017Transparency in Music Licensing and Ownership Act H.R.3350, Transparency in Music Licensing and Ownership Act, introduced July 20, 2017. Click here for more information.
- Copyright Legislative Developments July 28, 2017CLASSICS Act H.R.3301, CLASSICS Act, introduced July 19, 2017. Click here for more information.
- Copyright Legislative Developments May 12, 2017Register of Copyrights Selection and Accountability Act of 2017 S.1010, Register of Copyrights Selection and Accountability Act of 2017, introduced May 2, 2017. Click here for more information.
Copyright Office News
- U.S. Copyright Office, NewsNet Issue 675 August 16, 2017NewsNet Issue 675August 16, 2017 Copyright Office Proposes Rule to Simplify Deposit Requirements for Certain Literary Works and Musical Compositions The United States Copyright Office is proposing to amend the regulations governing the deposit requirements for certain types of published literary works and musical compositions to require the deposit of a sin
- U.S. Copyright Office, NewsNet Issue 674 July 3, 2017NewsNet Issue 674July 3, 2017 Copyright Office Announces Open Application Period for Ringer Fellowships The United States Copyright Office is now accepting applications for the Barbara A. Ringer Copyright Honors Program. The fellowship, which runs eighteen- to twenty-four months, was created for attorneys in the initial stages of their careers who demonstra
- U.S. Copyright Office, NewsNet Issue 673 June 30, 2017NewsNet Issue 673June 30, 2017 U.S. Copyright Office Announces Start of Seventh Triennial Rulemaking Proceeding Under Section 1201 The Copyright Office has published a notice of inquiry and request for petitions initiating the seventh triennial rulemaking proceeding under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), 17 U.S.C. § 1201. Section 1201 provides t
- Words cancelled - copyright uncovered? - Lexology (registration) August 17, 2017Words cancelled - copyright uncovered?Lexology (registration)The esteemed judge Dr. Silvia Giani uses the traditional distinction between expression (protected by copyright) and idea (not protected by copyright), which in fact is a truism and often causes fallacy. A closer look at the work by Isgrò and at the ...
- Polycom is Committed to Protecting its Valuable Intellectual Property, Files Copyright Infringement Claims Against ... - Business Wire (press release) August 17, 2017Polycom is Committed to Protecting its Valuable Intellectual Property, Files Copyright Infringement Claims Against ...Business Wire (press release)BEIJING--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Polycom, Inc., an industry leader in enterprise grade business communication solutions, filed a software copyright infringement case with the Beijing Intellectual Property Court against L
- Copyright Protection Through Blockchain - Coin Idol (press release) August 16, 2017Coin Idol (press release)Copyright Protection Through BlockchainCoin Idol (press release)There are currently a number of platforms helping protect the intellectual ownership rights to works of art. The issue is as ancient as art itself, as there have always been cases of theft and piracy. The other question is whether those projects are ...
April 11, 2017[caption id="attachment_307694" align="alignright" width="300"] Attorney at law, Nolo Legal Editor, Blogger — Dear Rich: read more »
February 19, 2017How will libraries hold onto ebooks and other digital files like mp3s so that readers and scholars in the future can read more »
November 18, 2016Everyone who thought they were protected from copyright lawsuits based on user postings, read this and take action on read more »